Community Legal Information Association of Prince Edward Island (CLIA PEI) - Legal Information for Youth


Am I old enough?

Health and Well-being

Am I old enough?

More Information

For more information about health care and your rights on PEI, check out Health PEI:

Also check out:

Related Topics

To make a formal complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons, visit or call:

Child Protection Information

You can call Child Protection:

... or check out these:

Kids Help Phone

Consent to Medical Treatment

People have the right to consent or refuse to consent to medical treatment. You must be able to understand the information about your condition and treatment. If you are under 16, consent depends on your maturity and circumstances. Your parents may need to give consent for you. If you are 16 or older, you can name a proxy in a health care directive to make decisions for you if you can't make or communicate your wishes at the time.

Patient Confidentiality

You have the right to confidentiality during a doctor's appointment. For example, if you go to the doctor to get the birth control pill, he or she will not tell your parents.

There are exceptions to what the doctor can keep confidential. Some sexually transmitted infections must be reported to Public Health. Also, some doctors may have an ethical or moral conflict about providing you with the medical service you require and may suggest you go to another doctor.

It is a good idea to check with your doctor about whether or not they can guarantee confidentiality before you confide in him or her. If your family has a family doctor and you are not comfortable sharing information in case it is passed on to your parents, it might be a good idea to go to a walk-in clinic instead.

If you are unhappy with the service you received from a doctor, you can make a formal complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons. This group licenses doctors and also investigates complaints against doctors. [see more information to the right]

Your Parents' Responsibility to You

Your parents must provide you with the necessities of life such as food, clothing, and shelter until you are 16. Your parents must provide child support until you are 18, or longer if you are still in school or dependent because of a disability.

If you are 16 or older and voluntarily leave home, your parents may not have to support you. Child Protection will not make you return home.

If you are under 16 and you leave home, Child Protection will do an assessment to determine whether you need to be in an alternative living arrangement.

If you are in danger in your home, call Child Protection. They will do an assessment to determine whether you are safe to be in your home or you need to be in an alternative living arrangement.