Am I old enough?
- Human Rights
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Entertainment and Style
- Health and Well-being
To find out about more about Employment Standards, check out this website:
...or call one of these numbers:
- (902) 368-5550
- (800) 333-4362 (toll-free in PEI)
To check the amount you need to earn in a year to have to start paying income tax, contact Revenue Canada:
- (800) 959-8281 (toll-free)
For more information about EI contact Service Canada:
- (800) 622-6232 (toll-free)
If you are under 16 and want to work, you must:
- have permission from your parents;
- work no more than 3 hours on a school day and 8 hours on a non-school day;
- work no more than 40 hours per week;
- work between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. only;
- not work in construction, as a signaler in traffic control or as an apprentice in a designated trade;
- not work in an environment that is harmful to your health, safety, moral or physical development.
If you are over 16, most of these limits do not apply. If you are over 16, you have rights under the Employment Standards Act or the collective agreement between your employer and your union.
You can file an income tax return at any age, even if you are not working. You may be eligible for a GST refund at 19 if you qualify financially.
You must file an income tax return if you make enough money to pay taxes. However, if you make less than a specified amount in a year, you do not have to file an income tax return. [see more info to the right]
Failing to report taxable income or overstating your deductions can result in penalties.
GST Refund Credit
The GST refund credit is a refund that the federal government sends to eligible people. It is based on your income. If you are under 19, you are eligible only if you are married, in a common law relationship or have a child living with you.
Employment Insurance (EI)
Employment Insurance is a fund that you usually pay into when you are working.
You may be eligible to collect EI benefits if you have worked in the past, but are currently not working. There are requirements you must meet to be eligible.