Community Legal Information Association of Prince Edward Island (CLIA PEI) - Legal Information for Youth


Child Protection

If my case goes to court, what will happen?

Child Protection

Where can I go for help?

If you need emergency help, call 911.

Child Protection Information

You can call Child Protection:

... or check out these:

If you want help dealing with the justice system, contact Victim Services:

Charlottetown office:

Summerside office:

Kids Help Phone
  • Supervision Order - You will live at home and Child Protection will supervise your family for up to 6 months. Your family will be given certain conditions they must follow.
  • Temporary Custody & Guardianship Order - You will live in a foster home or a group home for up to 6 months. This order may be renewed for up to 18 months. In rare cases, the court may order an additional 6 months.
  • Permanent Custody & Guardianship Order - The court can order that you are permanently removed from your parents' care. This does not happen often. If it does happen, the Director of Child Protection will act in the place of your parents. A social worker will find an appropriate place for you to live until you are old enough to live on your own or until you are adopted by another family.

If your parents and Child Protection do not agree on how to make it safe for you to be at home, they may go to court. In this case, a judge decides what is best for you after hearing all the evidence. If you are 12 or older, the court may order a lawyer to speak on your behalf. Talk to your social worker about this. It is unlikely you will have to attend court or testify. If you do have to go to court, your social worker will let you know. If you have a lawyer, they will help you and may speak for you in court.

Having the court make a decision about your care can take a long time. Sometimes court dates are delayed. It can take several months or even more than a year before the court process is complete.

The Judge may decide it is safe for you to go home or he or she may make a court order about your care.

If the Judge decides an order for your care is necessary, he or she can choose an order that fits your situation. The choices are: