Community Legal Information Association of Prince Edward Island (CLIA PEI) - Legal Information for Youth


Child Protection

What are my rights?

Child Protection

Where can I go for help?

If you need emergency help, call 911.

Child Protection Information

You can call Child Protection:

... or check out these:

If you want help dealing with the justice system, contact Victim Services:

Charlottetown office:

Summerside office:

Kids Help Phone

You have the right to:

  • be safe
  • be protected from neglect, abuse and exploitation
  • live in a home that is free from family violence
  • be treated with respect and dignity
  • have nutritious food
  • have appropriate clothing
  • speak with your social worker
  • a reasonable amount of privacy (privacy while dressing, using the bathroom, time alone)
  • your own bedroom with a window
  • a smoke-free, safe, clean place to live
  • health care
  • have your cultural, language and religious heritage considered in decisions
  • an education
  • choose your religion and choose whether you wish to participate in religious activities
  • speak with family and friends. Long distance calls need to be approved by your caregiver or social worker.
  • have personal belongings. You can decorate your room as long as the decorations are not permanent, too difficult to remove, or unsafe. No one can destroy your belongings or take them away without a good reason.
  • participate in sports and other community events
  • see your Child-In-Care record once you are 12 or older

What are my responsibilities as a child in care?

  • Follow the rules where you are living
  • Take responsibility if you make a mistake or disobey the rules
  • Meet with your social worker